Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Perform wide variety of tasks in the operation, maintenance, and construction of structures, equipment, grounds, mains, services, hydrants, and other system facilities.
- Install, remove, operate, inspect and maintain taps, valves, valve boxes, mains, hydrants and services, or assist in those tasks
- Locate water mains, service boxes, and valve boxes, or assist in those tasks.
- Locate leaks or assist in those tasks.
- Install recording gauges and change charts, or assist in those tasks.
- Install corrosion protection devices on underground piping, or assist in those tasks.
- Thaw services, fire hydrants and mains, or assist in those tasks.
- Repair all sizes and types of tapping machines, or assist in those tasks.
- Disinfect, flush, pressurize, and hydrostatically test water mains and services, check for chlorine residual, and collect samples from the distribution system, or assist in those tasks.
- Set and remove well points, assemble headers and operate pumps of all types used in the Distribution Department, or assist in those tasks
Additional Key Accountabilities
- Legibly and accurately fill out time reporting tool, street repair reports, hydrant reports, leak reports, and other required paperwork.
- Know the names and uses of, and operate and maintain all the tools, equipment, machines and materials used in distribution work.
- Build concrete forms, pour and finish concrete, perform other concrete and carpentry work. Perform right of way repair work, including blacktopping paving, sodding, stone, dirt and seed or assist in those tasks.
- Ability to administer Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS) 4 practices.
- Participate in OSHA (i.e. trench/excavation) and other training classes
- Drives company automobiles, trucks, used in the department, and complete any maintenance required inspection tickets.
- Work from engineering drawings and sketches, service manuals, or other references to effectively perform duties.
- Follow prescribed methods for loading and unloading, handling, and storing of materials and supplies.
- Know the location of company facilities and be familiar with the service area to efficiently perform work assignments.
Basic mechanical knowledge and familiar with basic hand tools is desired.
- Use of company technology, i.e, computers, laptops, mobile devices is desired
- High School diploma or equivalent
- CDL class A,
- DSL required to be obtained prior to bidding Crew Lead, Crew Lead Relief,
- Plant Technician.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing�
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.