Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
Perform wide variety of tasks in the operation, maintenance, and construction of structures, equipment, grounds, mains, services, hydrants, and other system facilities.
- Install, remove, operate, inspect and maintain taps, valves, valve boxes, mains, hydrants and services, or assist in those tasks.
- Locate water mains, service boxes, and valve boxes, or assist in those tasks.
- Locate leaks or assist in those tasks.
- Install recording gauges and change charts, or assist in those tasks.
- Install corrosion protection devices on underground piping, or assist in those tasks.
- Thaw services, fire hydrants and mains, or assist in those tasks.
- Repair all sizes and types of tapping machines, or assist in those tasks.
- Disinfect, flush, pressurize, and hydrostatically test water mains and services, check for chlorine residual, and collect samples from the distribution system, or assist in those tasks.
- Set and remove well points, assemble headers and operate pumps of all types used in the Distribution Department, or assist in those tasks.
- Install and remove cribbing, shoring, piling and other underground structures, or assist in those tasks.
Additional Key Accountabilities
- Know the location and types of mains, valves and hydrants within the distribution system to be able to efficiently perform work assignments.
- Legibly and accurately fill out time reporting tool, street repair reports, hydrant reports, leak reports, and other required paperwork.
- Know the names and uses of, and operate and maintain all the tools, equipment, machines and materials used in distribution work.
- Build concrete forms, pour and finish concrete, perform other concrete and carpentry work. Perform right of way repair work, including blacktopping paving, sodding, stone, dirt and seed or assist in those tasks.
- Ablitiy to adminster MS 4 practices.
- Participate in OSHA (i.e. trench/excavation) and other training classes
- Drives company automobiles, trucks, used in the department, and complete any maintenance required inspection tickets.
- Work from engineering drawings and sketches, service manuals, or other references to effectively perform duties.
- Follow prescribed methods for loading and unloading, handling, and storing of materials and supplies.
- Basic mechanical knowledge and familiar with basic hand tools is desired.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Use of company technology, i.e, computers, laptops, iphone is desired.
- CDL class A, DSL required.
- Working inside and outside under varies types of weather temperatures and conditions.
- Ability to work shifts and be available to for call out.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Bending, lifting, working in tight spaces.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing�
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.