Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,500 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
Responsible for gathering, converting, analyzing, and reporting of GIS data; preparing and updating maps and exhibits with GIS data sets; maintaining utility asset records; and using GIS data, applications, and tools to identify and solve problems for the engineering and operations departments.
- Operate computer workstation to update maps as new data is received relative to new subdivisions, developments, capital improvement projects, zoning requirements, and other projects and coverages.
- Convert data collected from field operations into GIS database with proper and accurate spatial location. Assure consistency with company- wide standards and practices for data conversion, data maintenance and upgrades. (35%)
- Generate and distribute timely standard reports, utility pipe network system and thematic maps. Maintain up-to-date asset data inventory and asset records for GIS-related assets and maintain linkages between databases for efficient and accurate reporting.
- Coordinate timing of updates and corrections with district personnel to ensure maps, databases and reports are accurate and up-to-date. (25%)
- Utilize GIS for analysis of spatial data, perform routine analyses optimizing use of various company data sets, and perform limited research using government or other outside sources as directed by supervisor to support engineering and operations needs.
- Present results through clear, concise thematic maps with well-documented sources and metadata. (20%)
- Continue to develop expertise in GIS. Participate in workshops, training, or vendor presentations introducing evolving GIS technology, new products and upgrades. (10%)
- Assist in development of GIS standard practices and procedures.
- Participate on user committees within AW for sharing GIS expertise.
- Participate in pilot testing phase of upgrades and new product rollouts as needed and provide feedback for optimizing implementation efficiency. (10%)
- Solid foundation of GIS methodologies, ESRI software, geocoding techniques, data model formats, and data conversion practices.
- Knowledge of GIS workflows, including remote sensing, GPS, desktop mapping, web and database applications and GIS interoperability.
- Knowledge of geocoding, address matching, topology interpolation of linear and non-linear data and relational databases preferred.
- Detail oriented to conduct thorough analyses and evaluations, render and implement timely decisions and recommendations.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines. Good communications skills.
- Thoroughly proficient computer skills.
- Previous experience with operating UAV's and processing UAV data is a plus.
- Familiarity with working in a versioned geometric network environment.
- Bachelors or equivalent experience
- Minimum 1 year experience in analytical and development functions of integrated GIS applications, preferably in a utility environment.
- Periodic local travel; occasional national travel (e.g., User's conference, etc.)
- Indoor and outdoor environment
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Analyzes and resolves business issues through the application of critical reasoning skills and general business experience.
- Influencing - The ability to articulate an objective or idea in a compelling manner, so that others are persuaded to act on its merit.
- Intercultural Sensitivity - Embracing and valuing differences in everyone.
- This includes the commitment to work constructively and collaboratively with all people in all aspects of our business.
- Organizational Awareness - The knowledge and development of formal and informal business relationships with key stakeholders, internal and external to the organization, that enable business objectives to be accomplished.
- Sharing Knowledge & Expertise - Drives business performance by developing and contributing specific technical or professional knowledge, skills and experience. Demonstrates a professional attitude.
- Teamworking - Is committed to working collaboratively to achieve business goals, building cohesiveness and identity with a work group, and valuing individual perspectives and contributions.
Prioritizes & Role Models Safety
Plans, Aligns, & Directs
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing�
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.