Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,500 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Do you want to help keep safe, healthy and reliable water flowing to our customers? Pennsylvania American Water is hiring a Utility Person to join our team in Norristown, PA! This role is instrumental in providing routine and emergency services to our customers and the community. As a Utility Person, you will make sure the water service needs of the public are being met. You will be responsible for repairing and replacing service lines and water mains, performing valve inspections, and a variety of other job duties as needed. If you have a strong mechanical background and want to dig in and get experience working in the water utility field, this may be the job for you! Our winning candidate will be ethusiastic, hard working and motivated to work for an industry leader.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
To perform a variety of tasks including but not limited to locating, laying, repairing and extending underground mains and distribution pipes
- Sets up barricades and places safety lights around work site to protect workers from street traffic.
- Breaks up asphalt and concrete, using pneumatic power tools for trenching and compaction.
- Manual digging of valve boxes and curb boxes using shovel and digging bar.
- Guide pipe sections, valves and fittings into position and holds pieces steady while workers tightens connections.
- Tapping into pressurized water mains.
- Flaring and connecting copper and plastic piping.
- Installation of repair clamp on pressurized water mains and service lines.
- Operates valves and fire hydrants.
- Investigates complaints and determines corrective action per Company procedure.
- Operates of pneumatic and/or hydraulic boring equipment.
- Completes all necessary forms, sketches and field notes
- Drives vehicles and/or trucks in performance of general job including housekeeping of vehicle.
- Use of company technology to perform assigned duties.
- Responsible for environmental compliance with DEP and other government agencies and company regulations.
- Adhere to all safety regulations and company policies, practices and procedures.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Precision Working: using body members and/or tools to aide in work. Move, guide or place objects or materials in situations where ultimate responsibility for the attainment of standards occurs and selection of appropriate tools, objects or materials and the adjustment of the tool to the task require exercise of considerable judgment
- Must possess and maintain a valid Pennsylvania state driver�s license.
- Pass Department of Transportation�s (DOT) physical examination
- Capable of lifting and/or carrying 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing up to 50 lbs. This includes stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, fingering, and feeling.
- Must know how to use maps and records.
- Must possess and maintain a DEP Water Class E operator�s license as per union contract.
- Must meet all of the requirements above to be eligible for this position.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Work outdoors with the use of proper safety equipment, and PPE (personal protective equipment).
- Tuesday-Friday 11am-7:30pm EST, Saturday- 7am-3:30pm EST
- Skillfully use hand tools or machines needed to work.
- Requires mathematical development sufficient to be able to: add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure.
- Measure, cut or otherwise work on materials or objects with great precision.
- Use arithmetic or shop geometry to figure amounts of material needed, dimensions to be followed and cost of materials.
- Accept responsibility for the volume and accuracy of work.
- Must be able to read, understand, and follow instructions, in addition to safety rules, maps, diagrams, etc.
- Communicate in an effective manner both oral and written with Company personnel.
- Reporting and/or carrying out a prescribed action in relation to information is frequently involved.
- Draw sketches.
- Compiling, gathering, collating or classifying data and information about work performed, people or things.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing�
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.