Position title Manager
Reports to Associate Director
Team Health & Life Sciences
Term Full-time employee. Applicants must have authorization to work in the U.S.
Location Greater Seattle Area
Compensation Competitive salary
Gates Ventures’ mission is to catalyze innovations that solve global problems and improve the lives of the world’s poorest people. We do this by incubating products, advocating for important causes, engaging with global organizations, and managing venture investments.
Gates Ventures (GV) is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Exemplars in Global Health (EGH) brings together experts, funders, and partners around the world with the mission of identifying positive global health outliers, analyzing what makes countries successful, and disseminating core lessons so they can be replicated in comparable settings. EGH aims to help country-level decision makers, global partners, and funders make strategic decisions, allocate resources, and craft evidence-based policies.
This role sits in the Communications and Platform Vertical, within the EGH program on the Health & Life Sciences team at Gates Ventures. This role will support the success of our broad communications efforts, contributing to our goal of building brand awareness to help policymakers, funders, advocates, and researchers improve the quality of global health decisions.
- You will manage the day-to-day of EGH’s broad communications channels such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Exemplars News, and our newsletter, and work with writers, copyeditors, and vendors to help bring your creative ideas to the table.
- You will own communications channel analytics and help set and monitor KPIs that inform strategic decisions.
- You will serve as project manager for the EGH Communications and Platform Team, managing intake of EGH team communications requests/ideas, and overseeing workflows.
You are the ideal candidate if you are
- An excellent communicator and writer: You understand how to breakdown information into Tweet length and are creative when it comes to driving engagement on social media, providing editorial inputs for content across all social/comms channels. You are excited to contribute ideas for growing our reach and impact.
- A confident project manager: You have an eye for details while keeping the big picture in mind. You have experience juggling multiple workstreams and managing shifting timelines to keep work moving. You proactively send agendas, track meeting notes and action items, manage timelines and reinforce deadlines, and apply an organized approach to your work.
- An effective relationship manager: You are adept at communicating with a variety of stakeholders to bring others along. You are attuned to others’ working styles and adapt effectively to ensure maximum results.
- Proactive, flexible, and collaborative: You can juggle multiple tasks and priorities and thrive in environments with ambiguity and rapid change. You work independently but you are not afraid to ask for help. You enjoy working with a high-functioning team and roll your sleeves up to contribute to the team.
- A strong problem solver: You know how to identify roadblocks and solutions. You can break down problems using structure and logic and find a smart solution that fits with the bigger picture.
- Data-driven and analytical: You believe that anything worth doing is worth measuring, and love using data to drive insights. You are driven by intellectual curiosity.
- Independently drive implementation of communications channel strategy, including directly working with partner agency to plan, review, and approve social media copy, provide creative and editorial direction, and maintain awareness of global health moments, internal and external opportunities, and events that may inform communications tactics that further team strategy.
- Engage with agency daily to ensure social opportunities are tracked and not missed and co-create opportunities for promoting content that drives program engagement.
- With support and strategic oversight from Associate Director, partner with external agency to track, compile, and contribute relevant information to build a monthly communications calendar reflective of team’s strategy and EGH team priorities, research publication timelines, events, etc.
- Manage monthly EGH newsletter process, including coordinating with writer(s) and agency to implement effectively and on deadline. Manage marketing lists.
- Support Associate Director to manage production process for Exemplars News, ensuring timely publication and tie into social media promotion.
- With strategic oversight from Associate Director and support from team, manage the maintenance and creation of materials for dissemination and media engagement, including comms toolkit(s) that can be adapted for various audiences.
- Support preparation for external communications engagements and presentations to GV leadership, with oversight from Associate Director.
- In collaboration with agency partner(s), track, synthesize, and support on report outs on performance across channels (social and earned media, Exemplars News, newsletter). Work in tandem with Platform Manager to synthesize findings with platform metrics and propose course correction, as needed.
- As needed, manage tactics of analytics including implementing tracking codes, managing data pulls, and monitoring paid media strategies.
- Track engagements with VIP influencer stakeholders and media across channels, using CRM tool or Excel trackers as needed.
- Regularly propose tactics to improve EGH comms reach, and achievement of established KPIs.
- Manage communications requests from team and oversee timelines of comms projects with various stakeholders, including external partners, vendors, and contractors.
- Independently run weekly communications syncs with EGH topic teams, tracking deliverables and triaging new requests, and serve as principal liaison between teams, writers/creators and Associate Director.
- Own documentation, standardization, and maintenance of Communications processes across team.
- 5+ years of experience in social media management and broad communications, preferably in Global Health but not required
- Excellent marketing and communications skills, including strong editing, writing, and PowerPoint and verbal presentation abilities
- Track record of excellent stakeholder and agency management, with experience working with varying seniority levels to set clear direction
- Track record of increasing responsibility in competitive environments and experience organizing and driving complex projects
- Experience with pulling, reviewing, and drawing insights from analytics data
- Proficiency in Sprinklr, CRM Dynamics 365, ClickDimensions, SmartSheet, and Microsoft Office suite
- Experience with Google Analytics, FullStory and HotJar a plus
- Experience or interest in working in Global Health a plus
Deadline to apply: October 21, 2022