Resp & Qualifications|
- The Senior Data Analyst is a highly motivated professional responsible for supporting the data needs of actuarial and financial analysts by producing standard and ad hoc reporting, data extracts, as well as deep dive data analytics to understand root causes of drivers or anomalies.
- The Senior Data Analyst is expected to have a strong understanding of the business and general health care data and performs analysis on the data to validate accuracy and proper reporting based on established business rules for their own work and that of colleagues.
- The Senior Data Analyst will be expected to understand new data sources and determine how best to integrate the data into the current data environment.
- The Senior Data Analyst is expected to have a firm understanding of the fundamentals of actuarial and financial analytics. This includes familiarity with actuarial and accounting terminology, concepts, and calculations as well as with the underlying health care data being used for analysis to be able to explain reasons for outliers and to generally support in-depth questions and analytical results.
- The Senior Data Analyst needs to be highly proficient in SQL and Excel and be very adept at recognizing patterns and connections within data.
- The Senior Data Analyst is expected to make decisions on the appropriate data sources, the optimal approach to solve business problems, and to ensure that results tie to appropriate controls.
- The Senior Data Analyst is also expected to mentor staff, provide guidance on projects, and represent Actuarial interests during interactions throughout CareFirst.
- This is a fast-paced, collaborative, and iterative environment requiring quick learning, agility, and flexibility.
- Engages in data exploration using various programming languages (reading and writing code), requiring advanced knowledge of multiple database structures.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data to glean insights, and develop business appropriate recommendations.
- Research and analyze data flow across complex data ecosystem including operational and analytical data platforms.
- Serve as an expert resource supporting data questions and issues from stakeholders and driving to resolution.
- Lead in the design, development, validation and delivery of data to provide insight into business decisions.
- Manage the collection of business and technical requirements from Stakeholders to deliver data driven solutions. Produces technical documentation that is consistent with professional standards.
- Be a resource and mentor to junior level staff.
Position does not have direct reports but is expected to assist in guiding and mentoring less experienced staff. May lead a team of matrixed resources.
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree in Data Science, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Business or related field OR in lieu of a Bachelor's degree, an additional 4 years of relevant work experience is required in addition to the required work experience.
Experience: 5 years experience in an analytical/quantitative role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Experience in Healthcare Industry.
- Hands on experience with Big Data/NoSQL Platforms with experience delivering production projects at scale.
- Quantitative, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of analytical tools, languages, applications, platforms.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to learn quickly and take direction.
- Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external customers, within set expectations for service excellence. Must be able to effectively communicate and provide positive customer service to every internal and external customer, including customers who may be demanding or otherwise challenging.
Department: Actuarial Systems
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship