POSITION TITLE: Senior Manager of Communications
REPORTS TO: Director of Advancement Services
UPDATED: January 2023
AltaSea at the Port of Los Angeles is dedicated to accelerating scientific collaboration, advancing an emerging blue economy through business innovation and job creation, and inspiring the next generation, all for a more sustainable, just and equitable world.
AltaSea is a new model for ocean-related science, business and education – a place where innovators collaborate to develop solutions critical to the survival of the earth and its inhabitants. Through a bold plan conceived in concert with the community and stretching decades into the future, AltaSea is positioned to make an innovative mark on the future of Los Angeles and the planet.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The list that follows is not intended to be comprehensive; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of the position. Incumbents may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position specific tasks.
- Manage the AltaSea and Project Blue websites, ensuring that content is current, accurate, on-brand, and optimized for both search engine and social media.
- Coordinate with and support AltaSea’s public relations/communications consultant on press releases, media advisories, interviews, photography and videography shoots.
- Maintain electronic library of all visual assets and collateral and ensure proper usage.
- Update and share brand guidelines as needed.
- Responsible for tracking and meeting communication metrics.
- Coordinate and support other organization-wide communications projects, outreach, and products as needed.
- Oversee communications calendar.
- Use email and social media to communicate the AltaSea mission, activities, accomplishments, and other content to both general and target audiences; ensuring that messages are clear, compelling, consistent, and effective.
- Produce all email campaigns including Trending, AltaSea’s monthly news round-up and Beacon, news about AltaSea. Solicit content from internal sources. Manage review, testing, and sending.
- Develop and execute social media campaigns for key events, themes, and priority upcoming content.
- Produce social media copy and content for social media accounts and post regularly on each account.
- Develop strategy for consistent social media engagement/reach and overall growth of AltaSea accounts.
- Monitor and respond to online responses.
- Lead digital execution—across email, website, and social media—of fundraising and engagement campaigns throughout the year.
- Create and update communications materials and documents in support of fundraising, donor stewardship, and programs.
Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field
- At least 3-5 years work experience in communications. Non-profit experience preferred.
- Experience managing & publishing content on WordPress
- Proven Search Engine Optimization (SEO) experience
- Graphics experience (Canva, MS Publisher or other graphics editing software)
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of best practices for writing and publishing on different platforms
- Must be a strong communicator, have excellent written, presentation, oral communications and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker with good judgment and ability to make independent decisions in a changing environment.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage time, deliverables and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
- Other desired skills: Eventbrite or similar email service provider; Raiser’s Edge; working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Power Point.
- Genuine interest in ocean sustainability and the environment with the ability to articulate the vision and mission of AltaSea.
- Works primarily in the AltaSea warehouse office space
- Use of computers requires hand/wrist motion and visual focus
- Concentrated attention to detailed written documents
- May do some lifting (not to exceed 25 pounds)
- This position will require the ability to travel to various work locations if needed. Must possess valid CA Driver’s License and vehicle insurance at the levels required by CA law
PAY AND BENEFITS:
Benefits include Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance policy, Long-Term Disability, 403b employee plan, Paid Time Off, Regular and Personal Holidays as per current policy
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Natasha Berendzen email@example.com