Paralegal and Research Specialist
Full time, non-exempt
Environmental Health Program
Multiple Locations Considered
Tucson, Arizona, other cities with Center offices, or remote locations
General Position Overview: The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Paralegal and Research Specialist for our Environmental Health Program. The Environmental Health Program works to protect biodiversity and human health from toxic substances.
The Paralegal and Research Specialist will provide paralegal, administrative and research support to the attorneys and other staff in the program. The working environment is fast-paced, exciting and supportive. The position is full time and will be located in our Tucson, Arizona office or a remote position for a highly qualified candidate. Applicants without paralegal or litigation experience or qualifications will not be considered. Applications must contain a cover letter, résumé, writing sample and three to five references as a single PDF file or they will not be considered.
• Assistance with preparation of legal documents, including completing tables of contents and authorities for briefs, proofreading, formatting, cite checking using Lexis and Blue Book, and filing in multiple jurisdictions.
• Assistance in calendar management for administrative actions and court filings.
• Maintenance of electronic databases for filings and program actions.
• Assistance with filing and serving legal documents and maintenance of legal dockets, including ensuring compliance with court rules in a variety of state and federal jurisdictions, e-filing, making courtesy copies, corresponding by phone with Clerks’ offices and related tasks.
• Performing online research, including legal and scientific research.
• Assistance with drafting comment letters, including retrieval of online references.
• Reviewing Freedom of Information Act responses.
• Maintenance of a legal library, including updating of court rules and reference material, in coordination with other Center paralegals.
• Preparation and indexing of administrative records and appendices/excerpts of record in litigation.
• Assisting with the planning and handling of internal and external meetings, travel and conference arrangements.
• Assisting with preparation for events such as public presentations, rallies and hearings.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
• A self-starting team player with a positive attitude and a passion for working together with the team to achieve the Center for Biological Diversity’s mission.
• A university degree. Paralegal certificate preferred, but significant experience as a paralegal, legal assistant, or significant legal expertise is acceptable in lieu of a paralegal certificate.
• A minimum of one year of experience in a litigation or research environment.
• Ability to cite check legal authorities for substance and format, assist with federal court filings via ECF and PACER, make tables in legal briefs, create appendices and decipher court rules.
• Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail.
• Ability and willingness to complete legal secretarial tasks.
• Intermediate level or above skills with Microsoft Excel, Adobe Pro and Microsoft Word.
• Excellent writing and editing skills.
• Strong communication skills and willingness to be flexible to facilitate working with attorneys in offices and time zones throughout the country.
• An ability to multi-task efficiently and to work well as part of an effective team.
• A strong work ethic, desire to be part of a dynamic and highly energetic team, and a demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
Salary: The salary range is $58,000-$72,500, depending on experience.
• Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
• Paid short-term and long-term disability.
• 403(b) retirement plan with generous employer match.
• Relaxed work atmosphere.
• Remote/hybrid workplace
• Three month paid sabbatical after five years on staff
• Generous paid vacation, holiday, family and pet medical leave and sick day policies.
Please apply online by uploading a cover letter, a résumé, a writing sample and three to five references as one single PDF file. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.