This position’s primary responsibilities are to source, underwrite loan requests and monitor loans to expand C4C’s mission and impact. The focus will include nonprofit and business loans. The underwriter/lender will assist with the expansion of C4C’s Small Business lending activities and will work closely with the Lending team to provide technical assistance and excellent customer service.
Business and Program Development
• Assist in the development and roll out of C4C’s Small Business lending activities.
• Manage relationships with existing borrowers and developing relationships with potential borrowers.
• Provide informal technical assistance and referrals where appropriate.
• Monitor market needs and assist in development of new products/programs as appropriate.
Loan Underwriting and Relationship Management
• Assess applicant's financial strength by reviewing financial statements, audits, tax returns, credit reports and organizational documents.
• Assist the Small Business department in meeting lending goals.
• Assess applicant's willingness and capacity to pay back the requested loan.
• Assess strength and feasibility of loans by reviewing tax documents, audited financial statements, internally prepared financial statements, bank statements, etcetera.
• As needed, provide technical assistance (development services) through the application, underwriting and monitoring process to strengthen the loan quality and performance.
• Prepare Loan Approval Document (LAD) and Risk Rating in accordance with internal credit and programs requirements and present to Loan Committee or other loan approval authority as designated in Loan Policies.
• Develop comprehensive understanding of C4C’s loan products and programs, policies and procedures and assist in updating and modifying where needed.
• Assist in the underwriting of multiple loan request types including small business, nonprofit and brownfields.
Loan Closing, Monitoring and Administration
• Assist in loan closing activities including coordination with attorney, review of commitment letters and documents as needed.
• Assist in modification, renewal and work out of loans as needed.
• Provide support and input to Portfolio Manager in an ongoing capacity.
• Review and approve loan draw requests.
• Assist with grant applications as needed (e.g., CDFI Fund, HTCC, etc.)
• Assist with reporting and marketing activities as needed.
• Other activities as needed.
• Commitment to equitable community development and the core mission of C4C.
• Analytical skills, risk assessment, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and to collaborate with a team.
• Computer competencies including Office 365, especially Excel and Word skills, and ability to learn other software applications. Experience with Salesforce a plus. Ability to manage multiple tasks and to operate productively without extensive supervision.
• Good problem-solving abilities
• Commitment to clear, detailed, service-oriented communication with borrowers and C4C colleagues.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & CERTIFICATIONS
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in relevant field, i.e., real estate, finance, or business.
• Minimum two years of small business underwriting experience at a CDFI, bank or other financial institution.
• Formal Small Business underwriting training or equivalent experience.
• Ability to generate client leads and maintain business relationships.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills