The Colorado Charter School Institute (CSI) is a statewide charter school authorizer whose mission is to foster high-quality public-school choices offered through charter schools, particularly schools that are focused on closing the achievement gap for at-risk students. Governed by a board of nine members appointed by the Governor and Commissioner of Education, CSI currently serves a diverse portfolio of 40+ schools across the state of Colorado serving over 20,000 students. CSI is uniquely positioned to serve and promote charter school innovation in communities throughout Colorado and to be a leader in improvements in authorizer practices. CSI aspires to continue growing the quality and quantity of its portfolio of schools in Colorado in response to the need for high quality, innovative charter school options. Our organization is at an extraordinary point of opportunity and is poised to make additional systemic changes that will yield improvements within the portfolio’s overall student achievement.
Visit our website to learn more
Please note: Applications will be reviewed as they are received. This position is non-classified and is not subject to appeal rights.
The Special Education Coordinator serves as a special education director designee and liaison between schools and CSI. The Coordinator acts as the technical consultant for all assigned schools and school special education staff. Coordinators are responsible for assisting CSI schools in implementing mission-critical projects, coordinating with other school and CSI departments to identify and overcome systemic obstacles to school success as well as implementing refined department systems i.e. assist Special Education Director and/or Assistant Director with audits for quality assurance, support, oversight, and accountability of the Special Education programs in CSI schools.
Please see below for a complete position description:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ROLE-SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serves as a school-level Special Education Director Designee (builds capacity in School by training other designees).
- Well-developed conflict resolution, mediation, and persuasion skills.
- Coordinate services for special education students in assigned schools and facilitate special education-related meetings as needed i.e. IEP, Manifestations, Mediations, FBA/Behavior Plan meetings
- Provides a continuous in-service program designed to improve the professional staff and student outcomes. Researches, plans, and coordinates in-service trainings for administrators, teachers, and other school staff regarding the education of exceptional students.
- Assist the Director and/or Assistant Director of Special Education with auditing the schools and in implementing the Special Education Comprehensive Plan and related CSI guidelines.
- Serve as liaison for local school district of residence.
- Serve as a liaison between Schools and CSI Central Office and communicate regarding building concerns around serving the needs of exceptional students and related special issues and situations.
- Review and management of special education files for compliance.
- In coordination with the Data Services unit, provide technical assistance and validate programmatic data for state and federal reporting, including special education December 1st Count, End of Year report and Federal application for funding; Program Plan and Annual report and others as assigned.
- Early Childhood Coordinator, Transition Coordinator, and /or Section 504 duties as assigned.
- Keep Director and/or Assistor Director of Special Education informed.
- Attend CSI trainings, meetings and professional development activities as assigned.
- Assist in implementing MTSS/RTI as it relates to the special education identification process, interventions and Child Study meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
As a valued member of the Colorado Charter School Institute team, you'll enjoy an array of benefits designed to enhance your well-being and professional growth. These include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid holidays, generous paid leave, flexible schedule options, a supportive work-life balance ethos, complimentary life, and disability insurance (with opportunities for enhanced coverage), options for Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts, access to professional development programs, wellness initiatives, performance-based bonuses, and membership in the Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (PERA).
CSI INCLUSION STATEMENT
CSI recognizes that autonomy and diversity can drive innovation and improved outcomes, both in our schools and in our organization. We are committed to a diverse and culturally inclusive workplace as we believe that differences in perspective and experiences broaden our awareness, enrich our daily experiences, and contribute to our collective strength.
As a charter school authorizer with schools that serve a wide range of communities across the state, we prioritize recruiting a staff that shares the diversity of the students and communities our schools serve. CSI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on gender, race, color, religion or belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
At a minimum, we are looking for the following:
- Master’s degree or higher in Special Education or related field.
- Holds a CDE-issued Special Education Teacher or Special Education Service Provider license.
- Knowledge of and interest in State and Federal education law – IDEA, 504, ECEA, OCR case law policy. and practice and current issues in Exceptional Students education reform.
- Ability to forge and manage cross-departmental relationships to achieve objectives.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Experience managing multiple complex projects.
All final candidates must successfully pass a thorough criminal background check.
Ideal candidates will have some, or all, of the following education, skills, and abilities:
- Special Education Director License preferred
- Experience managing multiple ongoing programs or projects with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to build and/or strengthen relationships with stakeholders.
- Proven experience managing staff.
- Familiarity with and willingness to learn about and utilize workplace technology including ALPINE to improve communication, collaboration, and productivity.
LOCATION & TRAVEL
Must be a resident of Colorado. In-state travel is required. Telecommute flexibility offered.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms using a keyboard and video display terminal. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment includes a standard office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. CSI may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable.
HOW TO APPLY:
Does our organization and this role sound like a great fit for you? If so, please email your resume and cover letter to CSIEmployment@csi.state.co.us. The cover letter should detail how your experience meets the minimum experience requirements listed in the above position announcement.