Denver Preschool Program (DPP) is a nonprofit organization working to provide every child in Denver with early education opportunities to succeed in kindergarten and beyond. DPP began in 2006 as a voter-approved sales tax and has a small staff working collaboratively to strengthen and fund early childhood education. See more at www.dpp.org
The Denver Preschool Program Staff Accountant is responsible for managing the day-to-day accounting and finance responsibilities. This position will assist the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager to coordinate and manage the financial activities. This role will work cross-functionally with all other DPP
staff members to maintain strong financial operations and administration.
This is a new in-house position that will require a self-starter who can:
- Manage DPP’s financial books.
- Work closely with the DPP team to leverage expertise.
- Project manage, identify problems quickly, and create new solutions.
- Navigate the complexity of multiple funding streams.
- Use technology to enhance DPP’s financial operations.
- Accurately record and reconcile accounts receivable and cash transitions including payfiles for all DPP Tuition Credits in the financial management system, currently QuickBooks desktop, according to established department procedures.
- Manage all accounts payable and maintain all financial management systems and tools.
- Perform month-end close duties, including bank reconciliations, review of general ledger accounts, closing journal entries, month end schedules, and financial reporting presentation.
- Participate in monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting as assigned, including support for the annual audit process, cashflow analysis, cash flow projections and assisting with regular reporting to the board and the City of Denver. Research and resolve discrepancies.
- Maintain and enhance the organization's internal control environment, ensuring robust financial integrity and compliance by actively supporting and upholding organizational policies and procedures, and implementing best practices in financial oversight and controls.
- Review daily bank transactions.
- Prepare ad hoc reporting and perform special projects as needed.
- Support annual budgeting for each fiscal year.
- Responsible for timely and accurate processing of corporate credit card expense reporting.
- Assist in procurement and contract compliance as necessary, including but not limited to banking partners, investment advisors, operations and programmatic vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or other business related
- 4+ years of full-cycle accounting experience
- The ideal candidate should possess and continuously maintain a basic knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), with experience in nonprofit accounting highly preferred
- QuickBooks desktop and online expertise
- Ability to understand and commit to the mission of Denver Preschool Program
- Adaptable, dependable, and able to work collaboratively as a part of a team and maintain positive interpersonal relationships in a small, intimate working environment.
- Commitment to handling sensitive information with utmost confidentiality and professionalism
Due to the nature of this position, work location will involve in-office work with flexibility for some work from home, requiring reliable transportation and proximity to Denver. This position may require local travel to attend off-site meetings. This position may also require light lifting of 10-15 lbs. of office supplies and communication materials.
DPP actively promotes and operationalizes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). See our website and strategic plan for more.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general work being performed and are not meant to be a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required. They do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of DPP. DPP values diversity in the workplace and is committed to implementing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. DPP will consider applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Compensation is based on experience and pays between $70,000 and $95,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, retirement plan, sick and paid time off.